Monday, June 6, 2011

Innocence Lost!!!

They gathered around her looking at the decorated tray on her lap. “Ohh….is there a gift inside?” Kelechi asked. “No, silly” Rita replied. “its just a decorated tray. It would look ugly if I carried it plainly”. “Ohh,” Ada replied.

innocence 1

The three kids huddled together to discuss the little task that their friend, Rita, had just completed. She was the pretty little girl that had been picked to hold the scissors for the grand unveiling of the hotel. I watched them and marveled at the beauty of it all; little children gathered together, no little spite of ‘beef’ amongst them, their curiosity waiting to be fed. It was a beautiful thing to behold and almost wished to freeze the moment. You see in a few years time, they would grow and trivial things would come between them and spoil the beautiful friendship that they share. At this point they see me watching them and they freeze up on me, one of them offering me a shy smile.

innocence 2

I smile back and wish we could all have the innocence of children…the trust that only true friends have. But I’m smart enough to see the world for what it is, a dog eat dog society, poisoned by the blackness of the human heart….

No comments:

Post a Comment